When people ask me, "Hey, what are you studying?" and I answered, "Law", everyone would go like WAH!! I don't understand the reason why people are so impressed when they talk to a law student. Here I shall tell the world why should people NOT be impressed about this.
First of all, although people say the fact that one joined law school already shows his/her intelligence level, I would say that the entrance into law school varies from institution to institution. Certain institutions would lower their requirement because they do not get enough demand from students. Other than that, I would say that those requirements are high but not VERY high. Get what I mean? That means, this person who entitle to join law school, it means nothing but he is relatively smarter than average people. That's all. Unless if the person joins a UK university's law faculty directly then you can WAH because I know the requirements are difficult to meet and they are being followed quite strictly. I do not know about other countries but in Malaysia, certainly NOT.
Before I go on to my second point, I would assume that all students who enter law school are smart.
Secondly, there is no stupid or clever in law school. There is only clever and cleverer. WAH!
Thirdly, there is also no lazy or hardworking in law school. There is only hardworking and more hardworking - this becomes the line that the law students draw to classify hardworking and lazy. Sometimes, being a law student you find that you have worked so hard, but your effort doesn't seem to pay off. There is nothing wrong with that, you just have to work harder. Other than that, there is also another alternative - quit law school. In law school, it is the effort that counts. Not the intelligence. The point worth crediting in law is hardwork, not talent.
Forthly, do you actually know that how many people have dropped out of law school because their results are not only unsatisfactory but also absolutely out of passing range? Some, after a whole year in law school, they do not know how exactly they should answer a question similar to a daily-life situation (what we call a "problem question") to help the people. Some do not bother to think whether if the law is good law or bad law, some just memorize because "I want to pass".
If this is the case then what's the point of WAH-ing at law students? I see that they are nothing more than eating the book in and shit the book out after the exams and that's all. Some may not even be properly shitting it out because the book is too thick.
To add on, how many of these law students, if smoothly graduated from law school, will become lawyers? Not many law students become lawyers - many switched to alternative fields such as teaching. I am not saying that lecturers are not worth respecting, its just, if you allow me to put it in Malaysian slang, "You think he/she sure become lawyer MEH?"
Lastly, even if one became a lawyer, today so many lawyers are poor. "Poor" in the sense that they do not have much income. Many do not have cases at hand that their bank account amount can be less than beggars. Sometimes a law graduate may not even get a job in alternative fields because there are also competition from students with double degree (with law, of course).
To put it shortly, we, law students, are nothing but ordinary students who needs to study really really hard for a living - which others can achieve without such intelligence or hardwork. So, for making this choice, we are stupid people. Therefore, stop WAH-ing at us!!!
Number One* - John Legend
7 years ago



1 comments:
wow...i like reading your blog
...
nice nice
Post a Comment