1. Freedom of Speech
Do we really have this? Although it has been the law in most countries that there is freedom of speech for the people, I cannot see the significant existance of this right.
I wonder what the major causes are, although in my mind I already have my own opinion.
As far as I know (because I'm relatively young compared to many bloggers), it is because of people who are unwilling to accept comments, even if the comments are fair and true.
Be it in politics, at work, or even among friends.
I'm one young girl who used to spill my opinion involuntarily, however caused plenty of trouble for myself. I have lost friends (or should I still consider her as my friend?) for speaking my own opinion, together with my own ego.
Anyone care to tell me, if these people exist, how is it possible that freedom of speech can coexist?
2. Discrimination
Too many versions of definitions for 'discrimination', up to a point where discrimination is misused by many parties.
Lord Justice Laws says that there will only be discrimination when like cases are treated differently.
If this definition is assumed to be correct, then the Malaysian constitution itself has already discriminated its people. We are all Malaysians, but somehow not all of us are entitled to the same rights. Quotas still exist.
Or are the different races in Malaysia are considered as 'unlike cases'?
Or like Wei Chien said, nobody is similar, so everyone is treated as 'unlike cases' therefore there can never be discrimination?
Number One* - John Legend
7 years ago



4 comments:
I think freedom of speech is one of the most essential freedoms from humans (like freeom of movement). We need to have the chance to speak our minds, especially on political matters. Only then a society will be open and fair. I know Malaysia has some difficulties regarding this.
I am happy that you are young and already speak your mind. But when it comes to friends and people close, it's not always good to tell the truth. Tell it unless it's really not inevitable.
I wonder what you said and what happened with u and your friend..
I have not read thru the European Convention of Human Rights in detail, hopefully I'll understand better with regards to this rights after doing so.
Haha my friend and I? Guess I wouldn't make any effort to bring things back like before, she even has her new group of friends now.
But my question is, why when freedom of speech exist, I am not allowed to speak my mind all the time still?
That means that your 'Freedom of speech' is only written on paper, but the reality is something different.
I hope your generation will change that. I am confident, because I found many young smart Malaysian bloggers who want real democracy and real freedoms.
Are you one of these, WenWen? :)
Sorry to say, as demanding as I may sound, I do not think I am prepared to lose a peaceful life with my family for a way too meaningful career as such. I am not prepared to be assassinated like the late Martin Luther King.
I do not know how many out there who are willing to fight for human rights, despite the large number who demand for it. Hopefully in the new generation, there will be a better alternative instead of 'fighting' for the right.
Post a Comment